August 19, 2022
Shazam turns 20
Shazam turns 20 right now, and as of this 7 days, it has formally surpassed 70 billion tune recognitions. A mainstay in preferred society, the platform has altered the way individuals interact with new music by creating music identification available to all people. For more than 225 million worldwide monthly end users, to “Shazam” is to find out one thing new.
To mark the celebration, Shazam invitations lovers to acquire a journey down memory lane with a special playlist comprised of the most Shazamed tune of every single calendar year for the past 20 yrs. That includes every little thing from Train’s “Hey, Soul Sister” to Sia’s “Cheap Thrills,” the playlist is a correct reflection of the music followers throughout the world actively searched for more than the past two a long time. Listen now exclusively on Apple Audio.
Above the decades, Shazam’s worldwide charts have played a vital purpose in supporting to recognize breaking new talent like Masked Wolf, who was just one of Shazam’s 5 Artists to Check out in 2021 and finished up possessing the most Shazamed observe globally that 12 months with “Astronaut In The Ocean.”
“The fact that persons all above the planet took time out of their working day to pull out their cell phone and Shazam my tracks is a big honor for me as an artist,” reported Masked Wolf. “You know you have bought anything particular if you see the Shazam stats relocating.”
Shazam’s charts have also grow to be a barometer for unpredicted pop lifestyle moments. Kate Bush’s 1985 tune “Running Up That Hill” becoming featured in “Stranger Things” led to an all-time peak in Shazams of the singer, and the observe took No. 1 on the Shazam World Best 200 for 10 times. It finished up achieving the best of 25 countrywide charts — additional than any other music in 2022.
Trying to keep its finger on the pulse of tunes, Shazam has also performed a crucial part in bringing area artists to a world viewers. The longest-managing global No. 1 music of 2021 was “Love Nwantiti [Remix]” by Nigerian artist CKay, which grew to become the second tune to ever surpass one particular million Shazams in a week.
“Shazam has performed an impactful part in my profession,” explained CKay. “It authorized hundreds of thousands of people all more than the entire world to discover me and my exceptional Nigerian seem. It manufactured me a global sensation even in advance of I begun to accomplish all over the planet. The story of CKay are not able to be told without the need of Shazam connecting me to the globe.”
With its continued motivation to innovation about the earlier two a long time, Shazam is pioneering new strategies to carry enthusiasts closer to the tunes and artists they enjoy with new equipment like the concert discovery attribute, which spotlights live performance information and tickets on sale for reveals close by, merely by Shazaming a song, or by searching for it in the Shazam application or web site.
Even though Shazam remains targeted on the long run of new music discovery, today’s anniversary features an chance to look back again at the noteworthy moments and milestones that make up its two-ten years record.
- August 2002: Shazam launches as a text information provider primarily based in the British isles. At the time, people could identify tunes by dialing “2580” on their cellphone and keeping it up as a tune performed. They ended up then sent an SMS information telling them the tune title and the identify of the artist.
- July 2008: Shazam launches on the brand-new Application Retailer. Shazam later released its Android variation in Oct 2008.
- April 2015: Shazam becomes obtainable on the 1st Apple Enjoy.
- September 2018: Shazam joins the Apple spouse and children.
- June 2021: Shazam surpasses 1 billion Shazams for every thirty day period.
- May 2022: Shazam surpasses 2 billion lifetime installs.
- August 2022: Shazam celebrates 20 decades of music discovery and hits 70 billion all-time Shazams.
- 1st-at any time Shazamed track: “Jeepster” by T. Rex (April 19, 2002)1
- Initial Shazamed tune on the iOS app: “How Am I Different” by Aimee Mann (July 10, 2008)
- Very first observe to arrive at 1,000 Shazams: “Cleanin’ Out My Closet” by Eminem (September 2002)
- Initially track to achieve a person million Shazams: “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha (February 2010)
- Initial track to reach 10 million Shazams: “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye feat. Kimbra (December 2012)
- Initial track to arrive at 20 million Shazams: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz (October 2015)
- Initially artist to strike 1 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (February 2009)
- Initially artist to strike 10 million Shazams: Lil Wayne (June 2011)
- Initial artist to hit 100 million Shazams: David Guetta (May well 2015)
Swiftest Tracks to Accumulate Shazams
- Fastest observe to achieve 1 million Shazams: “Butter” by BTS (nine days)
- Speediest observe to attain 10 million Shazams: “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran (87 times)
- Quickest observe to arrive at 20 million Shazams: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I (219 times)
Most Shazamed of All Time
- Drake is the most Shazamed artist of all time with in excess of 350 million Shazams across tracks the artist has led or showcased on. “One Dance” is Drake’s most preferred keep track of at in excess of 17 million Shazams.
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I is the most Shazamed music at any time with about 41 million Shazams.
- “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley was the most Shazamed music making use of the “2580” text support.
Leading Shazamed Music by Genre
- Top rated Hip-Hop/Rap: “Can’t Keep Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
- Prime Dance: “Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Radio Edit)” by Lilly Wooden & The Prick and Robin Schulz
- Top R&B/Soul: “All of Me” by John Legend
- Leading Latin: “Mi Gente” by J Balvin and Willy William
- Top rated Pop: “Let Her Go” by Passenger
- Prime Different: “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I
- Leading Singer/Songwriter: “Take Me to Church” by Hozier
- The to start with Shazamed tune employed the service’s prelaunch public beta.
Apple Media Helpline